CIVIL SERVICES

new user logged in...
CIVIL SERVICES

Aim could be1. Motivate / Create / Support - CIVIL Service Aspirants2. Identify Different Topics that are potential R&D and Discuss around it to form a good research Group.3. Senior Experts in the field can support the Junior Learners4.

POWER TIPS FOR PRELIMS (CSAT)

king_padam_yadav

POWER TIPS FOR PRELIMS (CSAT)

Post  king_padam_yadav on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm

All the hard work that Civil Service aspirants have put in the past months culminates onday of the exam. At times, we at We worry about how we can touch the lives of Civil Service aspirants just before the exams and make a meaningful contribution that make the difference between rejection and selection for an aspirant. If you, a candidate for Civil Services, were sitting in front of me I would have a lot to say. Primarily, instead of worrying about what score you will get on the CSAT, try to get your hands dirty by just doing a few things:
    1. Work hard and smart – Nothing beats hard work but at a later stage you need the edge of smart work to rise above others. Revise and master the concepts and rules taught in books and classes. Attempt practice exercises according to stipulated time and have the attitude – How can I get even a single question wrong?
    2. Become flexible enough to imbibe the rules of this game (CSAT). The practice material is not to be covered for the heck of being covered. It’s not a formality – You have to learn from your mistakes. If you get a single question wrong on a practice exercise, then this question has something that evaded you. Analyze the question to figure out why you did not get the correct answer: How does the right answer compare with your wrong choice. Figure out –
    1. Is there a certain rule / concept that I do not know
    2. Is there a rule/concept that I knew but I oversaw it because I did not get the hint or key word or
    3. Did the question just evade me and I just do not know how to crack the question
    Solution for all three is – Research the question and get your answer from books, peers or teachers
    3. Mock Exams or Simulated Exams help you to realize what mistakes you will possibly make if you take the real CSAT at that moment. So make all your mistakes on Mock exams, realize your mistakes and don’t repeat these mistakes on the real CSAT. Mocks are a valuable tool to understand what’s missing in your preparation, and, later, to realize that if you know everything what changes you still need to make in the way you handle yourself during the real exam to get an optimum score. A mock exam will give you some holistic cues such as :
    (a) Easy questions on which you made silly mistakes.
    i. Reason – You are either not concentrating or you need to develop the stamina to use your brains for 2 continuous hours.
    ii. Solution – Study for longer periods of time without much needed breaks. It’s a marathon, prepare properly.
    (b) Questions which you couldn’t understand during the exam but you could easily crack them later with a fresh mind.
    i. Reason – You need to have the ability to concentrate for 2 long hours.
    ii. Solution – Stop succumbing to the temptation of breaks during study-sessions. You are justifying yourself when you think that after a break you will understand better or get a better score.
    A lot of students work really hard for the exam. They peak up their preparation before the exam, get bored of covering the same syllabus topics and get complacent. This shouldn’t happen. Don’t get into the habit of sitting in your room and studying endlessly. Instead move out and interact with your peers who are also preparing for the exam. Learn what they are working on, which books, what problems they are facing or acing, etc. This will keep the fire burning in your belly and will give you reasons to work harder.
    MENTAL PREPARATION
    Even though you’ve spent the last several months preparing for the exam, you’re probably feeling slightly anxious about the CSAT. In addition to developing an approach to each section of the exam, you need to be mentally prepared for the challenges presented by the CSAT. Most test takers feel some anxiety, and the most prepared are those who have worked hard and learnt to manage that anxiety. Having a plan to manage stress is essential to achieving your optimal score.
    Be Positive
    If you encounter a situation expecting to be successful you are much more likely to be successful than if you expect to fail. Consider the following two statements by two different students:
    1) I’m never going to get this. If I bomb the CSAT I will be a failure.
    2) I am well prepared and deserve to do my best. I know what to expect and I am ready to succeed.
    It shouldn’t take too much to figure out which student is going to do better. Whether it’s looking in a mirror and saying affirming statements or writing a positive thought on your rough paper on test day, it’s very important to go into the actual exam expecting to be successful. If you expect to fail why would you be at the test in the first place? This can be a difficult exercise at first, but you must get yourself in a frame of mind to succeed. When you dwell on negative thoughts, your mind isn’t free to work on the test. Trust that you are well prepared. If you’ve attended all the classes and done the hard work, you are better prepared than most of the population. Have confidence that you are going to be great!
    Also, don’t place excessive importance on the exam; keep the CSAT in perspective. Remember that the CSAT does not measure your intelligence, potential or what you are worth. A CSAT score only reflects how well you performed on the test on a given day, the day of the exam. This is not the day that determines the rest of your life. If the test does not go as well as planned, you can probably take it later. Keep this at the back of your mind, but I am definitely not recommending it.
    Know the Test
    When you take an aptitude test such as the CSAT, you have a lot of work to complete in a limited amount of time. Mastering the huge quantum of syllabus, by its very design, makes the CSAT a stressful experience.
    However, you’ve worked hard and learned how the CSAT works, and you know what to expect. Keep in mind:
     An easy question appears on the test – handle the easy question with extreme caution. Most of the aspirants – good, bad or ugly – will get an easy question right. Even you will get it right, but on an easy question there is a chance of making a silly mistake. So, if a question seems easy to you, double check on the answer, before you finalize and choose the answer.
     A hard question on the test is a good sign, not a bad one. A bulk of students would not have prepared properly for the exam and such students will not be able to handle a difficult question. Remember that you have to “earn” the hard questions on this test. The hard questions are the differentiating factor-they separate the grains from the chaff. By getting difficult questions right, you ensure your selection to the next stage.
     If a question looks really strange or too difficult for you, take a breath and remain calm. Try to figure out what it’s testing, and apply the appropriate technique. If you’re absolutely stumped, just move on. Maintain the pacing and approach you’ve learned from your practice tests. Do not let a horrible question shake your confidence.
     Your selection does not depend on attempting more questions, but on getting more questions right. The sword of Negative Marking also hangs on your head
     As much as your Mock Tests serve as “dress rehearsals’, practice tests are not quite the same as the “real” CSAT. This is where visualization techniques come into play. If possible, visit the test centre before the day of your actual exam. Get a feel for the layout of the centre. At most test centres, you’ll be able to see the testing room through a window in the lobby. This will help you simulate the actual CSAT in your mind’s eye in your last few days of preparation.
    Visualize Success – Imagine yourself in the examination room on test day. Get a good picture in your mind. In the picture you created in your mind, do you see yourself in the test room or do you see the situation through your eyes as if you were actually in the test room? Getting comfortable seeing the situation through your own eyes helps manage potential test anxiety. You are not scared; you are excited. This is the day that you have been training for over the last several months. You have prepared well. You can’t wait to get started. After the administrative rigmarole, you sit down in front of the test paper. You feel a rush of adrenalin as you begin to scan the questions. You take a few deep breaths and execute the strategy that you have been planning for the few weeks leading up to today. Some of the questions are hard, but you expected that.
    There are two important keys to visualization: See yourself succeeding and imagine yourself overcoming every type of obstacle. You are unstoppable. You have prepared hard to be successful and you deserve to be successful.
    Control the Physiological Responses to Anxiety
    It’s normal to feel a little nervous on the day of a big event. Your breathing gets shallow, and you may even feel a little sick in your stomach. Something that you can do that will ameliorate these symptoms is deep breathing. Close your eyes and imagine that your torso is an empty cylinder. Take a deep breath, filling the cylinder. Slowly release all the air from the top of the cylinder to the bottom. You will feel yourself start to relax within the first few breaths. Your breathing should be deep and regular. This exercise will generally take about half a minute. It’s time well spent because folks who are highly stressed are not going to give their best performance. Once you have given your brain that little extra oxygen and gotten yourself focused back on the task at hand rather than on your stress, get back to the test and start cracking the questions.
    COUNT DOWN TO THE CSAT
    All your hard work will be put to the test on the day of the actual CSAT. The final week can be very stressful, and events on the day of the test have the potential to rattle unprepared testers. To help guarantee that you will emerge successfully from the CSAT, here is some advice for the time leading up to your exam.
    The Week Leading Up to the CSAT
    Continue to practice regularly until you take your exam. Finish the last remaining practice material a few days before your exam. It’s best not to do it the day before, as you’ll want time to review the last test and work on any last-minute problem areas. If any specific topics are still giving you trouble, do some targeted work in those areas. Review your class notes, and practice questions dealing with those topics. Continue to work problems in the books that you trust.
    Visit the Test Centre
    If possible, take a field trip to your test centre. If you’re unfamiliar with the area, figure out how to get to the centre ahead of time. It’s much better to get lost on your dry run than on the day of your exam. Walk inside to check out the waiting area and peek into the testing room. Seeing the centre ahead of time can have a calming effect, especially if you’re picturing the testing room as a chamber of horrors.
    Take Care of Yourself
    Keep away from wild & late parties, booze, street food, and fighting with your girlfriend/boyfriend. In the days leading up to the test, try to get regular exercise and adequate sleep. Exercise, even a short walk, helps you manage your stress. You may have a little trouble sleeping the night before the test, so you want to be well rested in the days leading up to the test. To be at your best, your body must be conditioned to be awake and ready to work at the time that your CSAT is given. Become accustomed to waking up at the proper time for the entire week leading up to the test. It is also important not to go to bed at a ridiculously early hour the night before the exam. Fourteen hours of sleep the night before the test is not necessary, and any deviation from the sleep schedule you have established in the final week is a dangerous idea.
    Continue with Your Visualization Techniques
    The final week leading up to the CSAT can inspire all kinds of negative thinking. Being excited about the test is normal, even helpful. Letting the importance of the CSAT inspire feelings of dread is not. Use your stress management techniques to keep yourself in proper focus through the end of the exam: Now is not the time to start thinking that you are going to fail.
    The Night Before the Test
    Don’t study the evening before your test! Your performance depends on your work over the last several months, not in the last few hours before the exam. Have a light dinner or watch a movie. Do not do any more CSAT work because you are as ready as you are going to be.
    Make a test-day kit that includes everything you might need. Be sure to include:
     Directions to the test centre. Ideally, you will have already been there to check out the accommodations.
     A mid-test snack, drinking water and beverage
     Admit Card
     Two HB pencils, two erasers, two sharpeners, 2 ballpoint pens (black or blue)
    Fuel for Body and Mind
    On the day of your test, eat something before your exam. It’s a long test, and your brain needs fuel. Also, bring a snack with you to the exam. Stay away from excessive amounts of caffeine unless you are comfortable with the idea of either losing test time to bathroom trips or wearing an adult diaper.
    What to Wear – 12th of June will be a warm day unless your test centre is in a hill-station, so be prepared for the day. Dress in layers, and keep in mind that you are dressing for comfort.
    A Final Word
    Congratulations on completing the preparation. If you have committed all the information we’ve covered during the course to memory, you now know everything you need to know to excel on the CSAT. Does this mean that you are destined for a perfect score on the test? Of course not. It means that the only thing holding you back now is the speed and accuracy with which you can work test questions. If you keep practicing, you should expect to see some more improvement in your score.

Current date/time is Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:36 pm